Tuesday, August 19, 2008

NYLON Magazine - Ode to Denise Huxtable



I always get excited when I see that my mail carrier has shoved a few magazines into my mail slot. Usually, the only titles that completely snuff out that feeling are Harper's Bazaar and NYLON. I don't know what I was thinking when I subscribed to HB. I think I picked up two issues in a row at the newsstand that seemed decent and just ran with it. Since I've started getting it in the mail, I just haven't been impressed. As for NYLON...well, I've already written about how lousy that hipster rag is. That said, this month's "television" issue isn't completely terrible. I posted an image yesterday from an article about HBO's new show "True Blood" that featured actress Rutina Wesley and there are a few short blurbs in it that reference black TV icons like Claire and Denise Huxtable. I think I've mentioned before just how much I loved Denise when I was younger and I think they've done a good job here capturing her unique style. When I think of all the generic label obsessed teen drama like "Gossip Girls," it makes me appreciate Denise's carefully crafted look. Personally, I could never pull it off as oversized jackets and brooches make me look like the black guy from "Designing Women." 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That "black guy" is Anthony, AKA Mesach Taylor.

Anonymous said...

Jeah The Cosby Show rocked, can´t forget the episode "No Tofu".

Greetings from TheJunction Magazine

Anonymous said...

LOL! Denise was always funky and strangely interesting. Pretty good job @ capturing her 80's style. Damn! Has it been that long?

Invisible Woman said...

When I was a pup, folks would tell me I had a style like Denise Huxtable all the time. I took it as a compliment, cause I thought she was fly...and I take it as even more of a compliment today, 20years later.

DeePeeDee said...

I used to LOVE Denise back in the day and I still do now. She used to be a real inspiration to me and a silent source of support when eyebrows were raised at some of my fashion choices. I wouldn't say I dressed like her, but she helped give me the guts to dress to the beat of my own drum.