Monday, December 1, 2008

Joy Bryant in DOMINO - December/January 2009



For a magazine that touts itself as the "guide to living with style," this year's issues of Domino Magazine have been pretty dull. I was thumbing through my really old issues it seems the magazine has changed its original focus and caters more to professional designers and their ilk--making it less accessible in my view.

I mean just how many editorials can they put out featuring "reclaimed" $800 tree trunk end tables, Stark Louis "Ghost" chairs, coral book ends, garden stools and artfully placed $100+ coffee table books?

Also, I'm just never going to be the kind of girl that wants to make a conversation piece out of Hermes gift boxes. I tried it once with plastic bags from Bed, Bath, and Beyond but it just looked cheap no matter how many ways I tried to arranged them.

That said, unlike Vogue, Domino has had two black cover models this year and that ain't bad. Unfortunately, this month's cover girl (Joy Bryant) only has a single page inside the issue and on it, she talks about her favorite hotel room which coincidentally, contains a garden stool.

Sigh. I'm hoping they can get their mojo back in the coming year.

4 comments:

Lenoxave said...

Another magazine I stopped reading. There is no room for those of us on a budget who want our spaces to look good.

Anonymous said...

two black women on covers, yes. but neither of them were designers. both were in entertainment (on actress one producer) for me, a black designer, that's incredibly disappointing. i've actually blogged about it which you can read by clicking on my name.

i also agree that they've lost their focus in a bad way. the high end stuff is so dull to me and lacks creativity.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was waiting to see the layout of her home, and it's just a hotel room she likes? You nailed it. With the way shelter magazines are folding, I predict they won't last through next year.

Style Noir said...

I personally dig their foray into the inaccessible. The beauty of shelter magazines is that they allow the more creative among us to take the expensive shit the people featured inside bought because they were too unimaginative to-- or simply had the luxury of not having to-- do things within fiscal reason, and interpret on our on budgets and through the lenses of our own styles.

I love Target and IKEA and other budget solutions to interior quandaries, but I would hate to flip through a magazine full of that stuff. That's what catalogs are for.

I do agree with the point that they're getting a touch boring, however.