Friday, February 29, 2008

Ports 1961 S/S 2008



I'm posting these images from the Ports 1961 by Tia Cibani campaign for two reasons, first because I'm lusting over many of the extremely elegant and wearable pieces in this collection and second to illustrate that it is indeed possible to photograph a beautiful black model like Joan Smalls in an African locale (Tanzania in these photos) without the use of colonial imagery, spears, masks or headdresses. I mean, she doesn't even have shiny skin! Who would have thought that was even possible?
Source(s): ports1961.com, gmb.ca, TFS

5 comments:

SoleSista said...

Omgosh I don't know what better the clothing or the pictures or the models.

Anonymous said...

these are beautiful and it's good to see that the stereotypical props are not there including(if it were a white model undoubtedly) random local people who are made to look as "native" as possible.

Kwana said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

matt williams said...

very nice photos, in the close ups she reminds me of Lila Kabede and another tyra.

Anonymous said...

I noticed these ads in this month's Harper's and I thought they were gorgeous. I actually feel the need to start sending thank you letters to houses that use black models in such a way (i.e., not in the way Westwood did). Is that wrong?